Health and Safety
Course leaderCharlotte Downs, Health and Safety Audit & Compliance Administrator Kevin Luce, Health & Safety Policy Developer
Target audienceAny member of staff who carries out manual handling tasks.
Aims of the workshopThe aim of this course is to provide employees with health and safety information and training with regard to safe lifting and moving. The training is supplemented with information and training on manual handling injury risks and their reduction and prevention.
As a result of attending, participants will:
- Be aware to avoid hazardous manual handling operations so far as reasonably practicable
- Be able to assess any hazardous manual handling operations that cannot be avoided
- Understand the role they play in preventing and reducing the risk of accident or injury
- Have a good understanding of the legal aspects of the Health & Safety at Work Act with regards to manual handling and the specific regulations that support it
- Complete a practical demonstration of a competent lift.
Other staff development opportunities relevant to this topic
First Aid at Work: Initial and refresher training for those taking on the role of Workplace First Aider
Portable Appliance Testing: For staff in technical roles who carry out Portable Appliance Testing within their department
Risk Assessment: Useful to new staff working in an office or laboratory environment
Working at Height: For staff routinely required to work off ladders etc
Further information about Health and Safety related staff development opportunities can be obtained from the Health and Safety Office, St Andrew's Court.