UNIVERSITY WIDE WORK SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
Considerations for Work Shadowing
For the Shadow:
- What are the key areas you would like to learn more about from the host department?
- Do you have any specific questions?
- Do you have key objectives you would like to achieve?
- Do you have a draft outline of what the shadow could include?
- Where will the shadow help you in your role?
- What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- What do you hope to do differently as a result of the shadow?
- How do you think will this change your behaviour/practice?
- How will you capture your learning?
- How will you share your experience/findings with your own department and host department?
For the Host:
- When is the best time for a shadow to get the good overview of the role?
- What does the shadow hope to get from the process?
- What would you need them to know more about?
- Are there any confidential issues?
- Are there any health and safety issues?
- Are there any additional support requirements that you need to be aware of ?
- Do you need to clarify the aims and objectives of the shadow?
- Do you need to agree the structure of the shadow, an outline of what is included and inform staff involved?
- Could this be a development opportunity for a member of staff to be a host?
Aims & Objectives:
Click here to download the Work Shadowing Template- for recording your agreed aims & objectives