Learning and Development
You and your Nigerian students: building cross-cultural understanding
All staff who work with Nigerian students
This workshop will outline some of the challenges Nigerian students face in coming to study and live in the UK and will explore cultural influences that can impact on our interactions with Nigerian students.
The aims of the workshops are to:
- outline some of the challenges Nigerian students face in coming to study and live in the UK
- explore cultural influences that can impact on our interactions with Nigerian students.
- stimulate our thinking on how we can better engage with and support our Nigerian students - as teams and as individuals.
By the end of this workshop participants will:
- have a basic understanding of the different ethnic groups and languages in Nigeria
- be more familiar with conventions around Nigerian names
- understand some basics about student life in Nigeria
- know what some of the key transition challenges are for Nigerian students coming to live and study in the UK
- understand some key concepts in Nigerian cultures and will recognise some common communication/language issues that can arise when working with Nigerian students.
- know where to go to continue their learning about Nigerian cultures
- have at least one action that they wish to take forward to improve how they engage with or support Nigerian students.
Informal, participative with some tutor input
Click here for the Learning and Development calendar with all available dates.
To book a place on this event, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org