Learning and Development
Making Change Happen
The workshop is open to all leaders and managers. It is strongly recommend that delegates have a change project in mind or already involved in one that can be used to apply course concepts during the workshop.
This one-day session takes the approach that in order to develop commitment to change, we must move beyond seeing change as only a rational process to be managed and see it as an emotional process that requires leadership too. We will use the simple 8-step model created by John Kotter as a framework of principles that can guide leadership focus in times of disruptive change. This framework begins by looking at the need to address the complacency that exists in many teams and how to overcome this with a directed sense of urgency. We will also look at the importance of effective communication and a compelling vision and give delegates the opportunity to develop their own messages and communications related to their own change. Linked to this will be the development of a business case that engages both rationally and emotionally with employees’ needs.
The aims of the session are to:
- Recognise that the leadership and management of change are different processes and that leadership is often overlooked in favour of management tasks
- Develop an understanding of what change leadership involves and identify how we can be better change leaders
By the end of this session participants will:
- Understand the challenges of changing cultures and behaviours at the University
- Introduce an 8 step model for leading change
- Identify a range of leadership tools, techniques and principles to implement change more effectively
- Develop a business case for your change that addresses the “hearts and minds” of your teams
The event will be a combination of videos, case study work, presentations, discussion and hands-on exercises.
This workshop supports the development of the following Leadership Attributes:
Leading by Example, Responsive and Agile, Developing Teams, Enabling Innovation
Pre Event Reading
'Our Iceberg is Melting" by John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber.
Harvard Business Review by John Kotter, it is not essential that you read this but you may find it a useful additional resource.
Craig Smith, Lead Consultant, Flint Spark Consulting
- John Kotter on Transformational Change
- Leading Change: John Kotter's Eight Step Model
- Kotter's Eight Step Change Management Model (Infographic)
- An Introduction to Change
- Managing the Change Process
- Acheiving Culture Change in Your Organisation
- Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Approach to Change
- Change Impact Analysis
- Communicating Change
- Damian Hughes on Leading Change
Click here for the Learning and Development calendar with all available dates.
To book a place on this event, please e-mail email@example.com