New Staff - Induction & Initial Training
The University asks line managers (or their nominated representatives) to complete a Personal Induction Plan with all new members of staff.
This structured framework includes a health and safety checklist; a list of essential University policies that staff should familiarise themselves with and an initial development plan. The Personal Development Plan then goes on to inform objectives for the University Performance and Development Review (PDR)
New staff are also invited to attend an IT induction and details of this is sent to them directly, soon after beginning employment
Further Staff Development Opportunities can be found at www.port.ac.uk/staffdevelopment
All new University staff are automatically invited to attend an Induction Conference as part of their core training. This is organised three times per year by the Learning and Development team in Human Resources.
The aims of the Conference are:
- Give an overview of University structures and main areas of activity, highlighting topical issues and challenges faced;
- Offer opportunities for new staff to familarise themselves with the geography of the University;
- Help new staff to make contacts/establish working relationships in a social setting;
- Ensure that all new staff understand the importance of their individual contribution and feel part of the wider University community.
The half-day Conference includes a plenary session to set the University within a wider context. The session provides an overview of how the institution is structured and managed and highlights topical issues and challenges faced. There are also staff essential presentations covering essential topics for new staff, plus the option of taking a walking tour around selected University locations. An Information Marketplace provides those attending with the opportunity to pick up and take away relevant information.
'Introduction by VC was very helpful to gain an idea about how the University works, and what it faces in the future.'
'Have to say found the whole Conference useful, well thought out, informative and helpful.'
Forthcoming Conference dates
Tuesday 19 December 2017
Wednesday 18 April 2018
Room 3.06, Buckingham Building (0845-1300).
To reserve a place on the next Induction Conference, contact email@example.com
Equality & Diversity Training
It is important that staff are aware of their rights, responsibilities and expectations around equality and diversity as a member of staff at the University. For example, did you know that since 2010 there are nine protected characteristics that are covered by law within the Equality Act 2010? These are age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, religion/faith, sex and sexual orientation.
- All staff are encouraged to complete the e-learning and diversity package within the 6 weeks of joining the University. Managers should encourage their staff to complete the training as part of staff induction or through staff development discussions in PDR. Follow the link for further details of this and other Equality & Diversity Training.
Health & Safety Induction
The University of Portsmouth is committed to ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of its employees and students, so far as is reasonably practicable, through the development of a positive Health and Safety culture.
- As part of your Health & Safety induction, you should complete on-line training in Display Screen Equipment (DSE) and On-line Fire Training as soon as possible. Please email the Health & Safety Office in order to arrange your login - firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then receive instructions and a link in order to undertake this training.
- If your job requires you to work at height or involves manual handling, please book a place on the next available course. Further details of these and other training courses relevant to Health & Safety are available on the Health & Safety events calendar.