Staff Leavers Procedure & Checklist
Your line manager should provide a copy of the resignation letter to Human Resources (HR) when you are leaving the University, in order that the resignation may be acknowledged and a Leaver’s Pack sent out to you and copied to your line manager. The Staff Access to University Facilities and Leavers Procedures provides more information.
Once notification of your resignation or retirement has been received in the HR Service Centre, we will contact you within 3 working days to acknowledge receipt. Please note that we will send an email to your University email account. If you have not heard from the HR Service Centre after this period, please confirm with your line manager that it has been sent to us for action.
To prepare for your departure from the University it is important that you consider the following:
- Home address- It is your responsibility to check that your correct home address is recorded on the HR System and updated when necessary using Employee Self Service.
- University Equipment/Property- You must return any University equipment/property (keys, mobile phone, laptop, uniform etc) before leaving.
- University Staff Card- You must return your Staff Card to your line manager by your leaving date.
- University Car Park Permit- You must return your car parking permit to Transport Services, Mercantile House, by your leaving date. For any queries relating to the parking permit, please contact the Car Parking Office on 023 9284 2805 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- IT access- Your Line Manager will request closure of your email and other accounts, as described in the Staff Access to University Facilities and Leavers. Please remember that your access to your university account will cease on your leaving date – if this needs to be continued, please contact IS ( ext. 7777).
- P45- Your final payslip and P45 will be forwarded to your home address after your salary has been paid. You are asked to check your address held by the University using the Employee Self Service facility. This will show the current home address we have recorded for you and allow you to update your address if you wish. If you do not have access to this facility, please provide details of the change to the HR Service Centre before you leave.
- P60 & Payslips- You should take copies of your electronic payslips and P60s using Employee Self Service - you will not be able to access these after your leaving date.
- Training Record -You can print a copy of your Personal Learning Account details through Employee Self Service to take to your next employer - you will not be able to access these details after your leaving date.
- Salary Exchange Schemes- If you are currently enrolled in a Salary Exchange scheme, there may need to be an adjustment to your final salary.
- ‘First Bus’ Bus Pass- If you leave the University during the validity period of the bus ticket, the balance of the ticket price will immediately become payable. Where the outstanding balance of the ticket is less than your final salary, the Payroll department will make the appropriate deduction. If the balance exceeds your final salary, Payroll will contact you to arrange collection of the outstanding balance.
- easit Portsmouth discounted rail tickets- If you leave the University, your easit card/s will no longer be valid and should be sent to easit via Green Portsmouth, Unit 1 St Andrew's Court.
- Cycle to Work scheme If you are currently in the cycle to work scheme, any balance remaining on your bike will either need to be paid in full to the University or will be deducted from your final monthly salary. See the University rules for the cyclescheme for full details.
- Childcare Vouchers- Entitlement to receive Childcare Vouchers will cease when your employment with the University comes to an end. It is your responsibility to advise Edenred by logging into your Edenred account (www.childcarevouchers.co.uk) and completing the 'Amendment to Terms' form.
- Relocation Assistance- If you are resigning within the first two years of commencing your employment you will be required to repay a percentage of the money that you have received according to the following scale:
- within one year of appointment: 100% of sum paid
- after one year but within 18 months: 50% of sum paid
- after one year but within 18 months: 50% of sums paid
Wherever practical and in most cases this sum will automatically be deducted from the recipient’s salary in stages from date of notice to the date of leaving in equal instalments. If there is an outstanding balance you will be required to repay the amount due before they leave the University’s employment.
Staff Discount Course Fees Staff discount and Staff family members discount of course fees are only available for the duration of your employment at the University. Full fees will be payable once your employment has ceased.