Support for staff with a disability
The University of Portsmouth offers a range of support services for individuals with disabilities and their managers.
- The HR Business Partnering teams provide professional guidance and support for individuals and managers across all HR policies and procedures across the University, with each team supporting different Faculties and Professional Services. They also provide advice on employment solutions and best practice / legislative advice.
Occupational Health Advisers
- The University Occupational Health Service provides impartial advice to employees and managers following a clinical assessment of need. Employees may be formally referred by their line manager or HR. Advice will be provided on adjustments that are recommended in respect of the employee’s fitness to work.
Equality and Diversity Office
- The Equality and Diversity (E&D) team is able to give advice, guidance and support, in addition to that available from other business areas, around disability and reasonable adjustments.
Disabled Staff Forum
- The University has a Disabled Staff Forum for consultation with disabled staff and for their mutual support. Please encourage disabled staff to participate in these sessions. The Disabled Staff Forum exists for all staff 'with a long term illness, disability or infirmity that affects their everyday life or the work that they do'.
Employee Assistance Programme
- The University provides an Employee Assistance Programme for staff through Right Management Workplace Wellness, which offers a free, confidential helpline which provides unlimited access to information, advice and support, and onward referral to telephone or face-to-face counselling where appropriate.