In the light of current and future challenges, understanding staff experiences and opinion is an essential part of realising our vision. The University Executive Board are committed is committed to improving the quality of working life for all staff and to undertaking the staff survey every 2 years. These surveys helps us to understand how you feel about our institution and is an opportunity to let us know what it is like to work at the University of Portsmouth.
2015 Staff Survey: Your opinion counts
View the 2015 results on our Staff Surveys intranet pages.
The 2015 survey ran from 9-27 November, managed by ORC International and the results benchmarked against other institutions. The survey was shortened so that it would only take about 15 minutes to complete, either online or on paper. The results were then returned directly to ORC International. The data made available to the University does not allow individuals to be identified. This ensured that all responses are completely anonymous.
The University Executive Board is committed to considering the results carefully and then acting on them. Where possible we will address areas of concern and in areas where we are doing well, we will look at how best to share good practice.
Students are at the centre of all we do and we therefore donated £5 for every completed survey, to the Portsmouth Futures Fund. The fund helps students get the best possible University experience, widening their opportunities and supporting those who lack sufficient finances to make the most of their time at University. To find out more about how donations are used go to www.port.ac.uk/supportus.
We can only achieve our ambitious new strategy with your support and commitment and we value your opinion, whether you are a new member of staff, or have been here for a number of years.
2013 Staff Survey: We listened and took action
View the 2013 results on our Staff Surveys intranet pages.
The University is committed to improving the quality of working life for all staff. In the light of current and future challenges, understanding staff experiences and opinion is an essential part of realising our vision.
The survey in 2013 provided us with valuable feedback to inform the developments we have made within the University. Overall the response rate increased from 61% in 2011 to 69% in 2013. The University-wide survey results were excellent and illustrate how we continue to perform very well. According to Capita, our survey provider for 2013, these results placed us joint first as Employer of Choice out of 26 higher education institutions surveyed in the previous 12 months, and in the top ten employers of choice amongst 232 public sector organisations.
You said we needed improvement in a few areas and the University has taken action and made a number of improvements:
- You said…'I need help with coping with change'. We did…continue and develop the ‘Supporting positive change’ programme that supports managers and leaders as those individuals responsible for implementing change. The programme has also provided additional resources for all staff including the ‘Art of being brilliant’ sessions open to all staff.
- You said…'I need career progression and clearer role expectations'. We said…although there is no clear ‘fix’, a number of developments and changes to practice have been put in place to help staff with desires for progression. This includes:
- Introduction of core training for all new staff and additional sessions for all new managers
- New work shadowing programme
- Career development toolkit
- Learning and development toolkit
- You said.. 'I need improvements to my work environment'. We did…start the Estates master plan for development of the University campus. This project is well underway.