Human Resources

Registering in the UK

Registering with the Police

If you are required to register with the police, your entry clearance or work permit will normally state this. Where this is the case, you must register within seven calendar days of your arrival in the UK. The same provision will apply to any accompanying dependents (partner/children over the age of 16) if their entry clearance has the same requirement.

Children under the age of 16 do not need to register with the police.

To register with the police, please follow the advice outlined on the Hampshire Constabulary website.

Healthcare in the UK

You should register with your local doctor (a ‘general practitioner’ or ‘GP’) soon after your move to the UK. Information on how to do this can be found on the NHS Choices website.

Information also vailable on finding an NHS Dentist. Health information is also available from the University’s Occupational Health Service webpage.

In addition, please see the sections below:

Seeking medical care if you are not registered with a doctor

If you are not yet registered with a doctor but require a medical appointment, you can receive treatment from any local GP practice (medical practice) within 14 days of arriving in the country. GP practice opening hours can vary and they are normally closed over the weekend.

Out of Hours Medical Services

If you require medical assistance outside standard working hours, you can call the non-emergency NHS 111 service by dialling 111. This service will provide advice and if needed will also organise out- of- hours care from GPs, community nurses or an ambulance.

Emergency Medical Services

The telephone number for emergency medical care services in the UK is 999. If you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation you should use the NHS 111 service.

Electoral register

Being on the electoral register entitles you to vote in elections and referendums in the UK. In order to register to vote you must be over the age of 16 and be British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country.


Disclaimer: Please note that the University does not endorse any of the external websites listed above, or elsewhere in this guidance.