Sport and Recreation
Members can book classes and courts online linked to our leisure management software without the need to phone. You can also collect your tickets using our self service kiosk in Spinnaker Sports Centre reception.
To use online booking:
- You will need to know your email address and 4 digit pin which will have been emailed to you when you joined
- You must confirm your acceptance (below) of these rules and regulations
Please be aware that you may find some of the more popular classes full when you try to book in the morning. If this is the case then please call us from 7am as we will free up a further 50% of the spaces. This is to ensure that those without internet access have a chance to book.
Categories of Membership
There are three categories of membership - Full, Off Peak and Standard - each designed to suit the varying needs of our users.
- The facilities that you are permitted to use at Sport and Recreation and the times that you are permitted to use these facilities will vary depending upon the category of membership that you hold. Details of all membership categories and price levels and appropriate time bands are available from reception and on this website.
- When applying for membership, proof of status may be required. Membership at the UoP Student, Other Student, Under 18, Senior, UoP Staff, Alumni and Family price levels will only be granted when appropriate proof of status is presented.
- Details of Family membership can be found in our Membership Information leaflet. Should one half of the ‘couple’ wish to cancel their membership then the remaining member shall be converted to an individual status at the applicable rate (e.g. community) if necessary.
- All membership types must be applied for by fully completing the appropriate membership application or hire agreement form.
- All members must present their membership card to gain access to facilities. Failure to present your membership card or ID upon arrival may result in non-access to facilities.
- Membership is non-transferable: should another individual use your card to attempt to gain access to the facility the University of Portsmouth reserves the right to terminate your membership without refund.
- Should you lose your student membership card a replacement card can be issued by Campus Cards at a charge of £5.
- All members consent to having their photo taken for identification via our membership database. Photo ID enables us to provide improved membership verification and avoid fraudulent use of membership cards.
- These Rules and Regulations form part of your membership agreement with the University of Portsmouth Sport and Recreation department.
- Membership does not guarantee access to classes/facilities. You must book ahead to reserve your place by booking online, visiting reception or calling 02392845555. Members must be present at any activity or facility they have booked.
- Members paying on an annual basis who wish to terminate their membership should simply allow their membership to expire at the time of renewal. No refunds can be offered for cancellation requests midway through the membership term.
Use of facilities
- All members are entitled to use the facilities during opening hours. Sport and Recreation does, however, reserve the right to close the facility for any period of time when required for tournaments, exhibitions or other activities, or in connection with any repair, alteration or other maintenance work. Advance notice of any closure periods will be given wherever possible.
- All users of the Gym must complete a Par Q questionnaire and undertake an induction prior to their first exercise session. Unless as part of early bird membership all new members must pay an induction fee currently £5 for students.
- Appropriate, clean sports clothing and footwear must be worn at all times.
- Sport and Recreation reserves the right to refuse entry and use of the facility should an individual’s behaviour or appearance be deemed inappropriate.
- Food and alcoholic drink must not be brought into any indoor sports facility.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all sports faciltities, as well as on any outdoor sports areas.
- Children under the age of 11 are not permitted to enter the indoor facilities unless they are to be supervised by a responsible person whilst taking part in sports activity or session.
- Any person under 16 years of age is not permitted to enter the gym unless taking part in a supervised session with a member of staff.
- Lost or stolen property should be reported to reception as soon as possible where the matter will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.
- Notices and signs displayed around Sport and Recreation facilities (indoor and outdoor) must be obeyed at all times. Notice boards will be updated with important information and should be regularly checked by all members.
- All accidents that occur on Sport and Recreation facilities must be reported to the Duty Manager immediately by contacting reception.
- Sport and Recreation’s liability for loss or damage to your property is strictly limited to any loss or damage suffered as a result of our negligence or our failure to take reasonable care. With this exception we will not accept liability for the safety of your personal property brought onto the premises. Any property stored in the lockers is stored at the individual’s risk and no liability will be accepted by Sport and Recreation. Any vehicles parked in University car parks, including all contents, are the owner’s responsibility and no liability will be accepted by Sport and Recreation. Neither the University of Portsmouth nor the Sport and Recreation limits or excludes its liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence (or its liability for fraud).
- Sports staff will not tolerate rude, abusive or innapropriate behaviour and reserve the right to cancel a booking or refuse entry to the facilities at a moments notice.
- Fitness class instructors reserve the right to refuse entry to a class if the class has already started or if the participant is wearing innapropriate clothing for that class.
- You should not take part in any physical activity for which you may not be fit. You are responsible for monitoring your own condition during physical activity. If you develop any unusual symptoms you must stop the activity immediately and tell a member of staff.
- Sport and Recreation will not be responsible for any harm that you suffer as a result of taking part in any activity unless it is caused by our negligence or our failure to take reasonable care.
- Members must wear suitable sports clothing and footwear for the activity being undertaken.
- If you suffer from a pre-existing medical condition, are pregnant or returning to exercise after a long break please seek advice from your GP before commencing an exercise programme or regime.
Bookings and Playing
- All members must produce a valid membership card or quote a valid membership number when making a booking. The person booking the court MUST be present during the booking and cannot book a court on someone else's behalf.
- Members may book a court activity 7 days in advance. This is limited to the facilities/activities which they are entitled to use free of charge. All classes can only be booked either online or in person 24hrs in advance. All bookings are dealt with on a first come first served basis.
- Membership entitles the holder to free court hire for badminton, squash, racquetball, table-tennis and tennis, subject to court availability and when within their permitted membership-specific hours. However all non-member guests must pay the appropriate entry fee.
- To guarantee entry to an activity, members must book in advance, regardless of membership category.
- Activities will be charged at the appropriate rate according to the time of entry/start time of the booking.
- Members who wish to hire the Synthetic Turf Pitch must make payment in advance when making the reservation.
- All club and special event bookings are dealt with by the Reception and Bookings Officer during normal office hours.
- Badminton courts are limited to 6 people per court (4 people maximun playing at any one time).
- The bookee must state if they are going to use their court booking for sub-letting purposes as normal bookings are restricted for leisure purposes only. Please check with staff for latest fees.
- More than one court cannot be booked under the same name at the same time and one person cannot book a court for more than 2 hours in a row.
Cancellation of Bookings
- All Sport and Recreation members will be charged the appropriate pay-as-you-go rate for their booking should notification of cancellation be received less than 24 hours in advance of the booking and the slot is not rebooked.
- Details of cancellation charges for block bookings are included in the information pack sent to all relevant customers.
- A member's accont will be frozen if they attempt to cancel a fitness class or court booking through the online booking system within 1 hour of the commencement of that class or booking. A class or court booking cancelled over the phone or in person within 1 hour of the commmencement will prompt a cancellation reason be entered into the computer by staff. If the reaon is not deemed unavoidable then the account will be frozen. A member with a deactivated account will need to phone up or speak in person to a member of staff to reactivate it.
- Bookings made on the internet are subject to all of the Sport and Recreation Rules and Regulations.
Hiring of Equipment
- All equipment hire requires the production of a valid membership card along with the appropriate payment. The membership card will be held at the Sport and Recreation reception as a deposit for all equipment hired. Bank or credit cards and keys cannot be accepted as a deposit. In some instances a cash deposit will be required.
Guests and Non Members
- Members are entitled to bring a guest to take part in some activities with them. A guest fee of £1.50 must be paid by all non-members prior to access being granted.
- Non-members must pay the appropriate non-member fee to take part in classes.
- Non-members who wish to hire facilities must make payment in advance when making the reservation.
- Members are entitled to use all facilities at Sport and Recreation subject to availability (users of the gym must have completed an induction). The cost of activities will vary depending upon the membership category and price level, details of which can be found in the Facilities Charges and Membership Information leaflets located at the Sport and Recreation receptions and on the website www.port.ac.uk/sport
- Off-peak members who wish to gain entry at peak times will be charged the appropriate pay-as-you-go fee.
- The details you provide us with will be stored on our membership database and will be used solely by us to administer your membership. We may contact you from time to time with relevant information or offers.
- Members are required to give written notice to Sport and Recreation of any change of address or other contact information. Failing such notice, all communications shall be assumed to have been received by the member within 5 days of mailing to the last address notified to Sport and Recreation.
- The University of Portsmouth reserves the right to alter these rules and regulations, the prices and the times or periods during which members with a particular category of membership are allowed to use the facilities without notice, other than by posting the revised prices, rules, regulations, times or periods on this website. The alterations or revisions will apply from the date of first posting on this website, except for prices, which will apply from the next renewal date.
These rules and regulations relate to your relationship with:
Sport and Recreation
The Spinnaker Sports Centre
Phone: 02392 845555
If you are a University of Portsmouth student and need to look up your 'log in' pin you can use this look up tool.