Sport and Recreation
The Department of Sport and Recreation offer a great range of fitness classes held in the Spinnaker Sports Centre studios.
All classes are run as drop-in sessions and are free to full members and free to off-peak members during off-peak hours. Spaces are limited, so to avoid disappointment you can book your place on the day of the class. Non-attendance to a reserved class will incur a fee.
How to book
- 50 per cent of class spaces can be booked online with the other 50 per cent being released at 7am on the day allowing everyone the same opportunity to book whether they are a night owl or early riser. Should your class be fully booked you can opt to be placed on the waiting list and a member of staff will call you if a place becomes available.
- Booking online On joining you will receive an email with your login details. Classes are available to book from midnight on the day of the class. Visit our website, click book online and follow the prompts.
- Book your class in person or over the phone on 02392 845555 the day of the class. Spaces are limited so book early to avoid disappointment.
Before your class
- Ensure you have plenty of fuel in the tank by eating a light snack half an hour before your class.
- Arrive for your class at Spinnaker Sports Centre at least 10 minutes before the advertised start time.
- Collect your ticket from the self-serve kiosk or reception and present this to your instructor before your class.
- Place your belongings in the lockers provided outside the changing rooms, bring your own padlock or purchase one from us.
During your class
- Wear suitable well-fitting exercise clothing – there’s nothing worse than getting an eyeful midway through a pump class. Trainers should be worn for all classes with the exception of Pilates, Yoga, Yogalates and Ballet Inspired Fitness.
- Stay hydrated; use the water fountains provided to top up your bottle before you exercise.
- Work at your own pace and take rest when needed, it’s your workout. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing.
- Mobile phones should be switched off or placed on silent or risk the embarrassment of everyone watching you do an extra 20 press ups.
- Stay till the end of the class, a good cool down will aid recovery and prevent muscle soreness.
After your class
- Collect your belongings from your locker and use our brand ne refurbished shower and changing area before getting back to normal life.
- Replenish your energy levels by eating some carbohydrates within 30 minutes of finishing: a sandwich, yoghurt or a banana are ideal.
- Tell your friends how great our classes are and pay us another visit soon.
- Cancel a class online or by calling 023 9284 5555, please give as much notice as possible to allow someone else to attend. If less than one hour notice is given on more than one occasion we reserve the right to restrict online booking.