Economics and Finance
Dr Ansgar Wohlschlegel
- Qualifications: PhD (Economics) MSc/MA BSc/BA
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: 02392844126
- Email: Ansgar.Wohlschlegel@port.ac.uk
- Department: Economics and Finance
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
My main field of research is Law & Economics, but I also work occasionally on topics in Industrial Organization or Public Economics. My work includes research questions such as:
- How do car drivers react to nonlinear speeding sanctions?
- Can we prevent the next financial crises by regulating bankers’ compensation?
- When selling something on ebay, should I choose an auction or sell it at a fixed price?
- What are the consequences of corruption for an economy?
I am also interested in supervising Ph.D. theses in these fields of research, especially on the following topics:
- Litigation and settlement
- Punishment and deterrence
- Causes and effects of corruption
- Competition policy, especially on abuse of a dominant position
- Health Economics
- Economics of Education
- "Regulation in the Market for Education and Optimal Choice of Curriculum" (with G. Eisenkopf), Journal of Urban Economics 71 (1), 2012, pp. 53-65.
- "Why Are Corrupt Countries Less Successful in Consolidating Their Budgets?" (with K.P. Arin, V. Chmelarova and E. Feess), Journal of Public Economics 95 (7-8), 2011, pp. 521-530.
- "Screening in Courts: On the Joint Use of Negligence and Causation Standards" (with E. Feess and G. Mühlheußer), Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization 27 (2), 2011, pp. 350-375.
I have taught in the areas of Managerial Economics, Industrial Organization, Institutional Economics and Economic Theory.