Faculty of Science
Science Learning Support can assist you in developing your academic skills, whether in researching, writing, presenting, understanding feedback or revising, organising your work load and any other academic skills. If we cannot provide the support that you need, we can point you in the direction of the people who can help.
Examples of areas that Science Learning Support can help with:
- Writing techniques for assignments such as essays, reports, or projects/dissertations
- Citation, referencing & avoiding plagiarism
- Organising & planning your workload
- Making the most of feedback
- Presentation skills
- Pointing you in the direction of the best people to help you
Book a Session
View all available appointments & book a one-to-one session now!
Before you book … have you checked our FAQs, Limits of the Service and Full terms & Conditions below?
What is available?
There are one-to-one and small group (up to three students) bookable sessions available, all tailored to suit your needs. We also have resources available on Moodle.
How do I book?
You can book a session through our Moodle site.
Who can attend?
Anyone studying in the Faculty of Science. Both undergraduates and postgraduates are very welcome, as are people on placements.
What do I need to do?
Bring any relevant work, or documents with you. This can be something like an essay title, a marked piece of work, course documents, finished work, or a research article, anything you think will be useful to help you explain your needs. We can’t proofread work for you, but we will look at a portion of your work the help with style, organisation etc. Although we cannot be an audience for rehearsing presentations, we can help you with you presentation skills.
Limits of the Service
1. Please do not book more than one session in one week and no more than five in any one teaching block or assessment period.
2. Please do not hold more than two active bookings at any one time.
3. Sessions will made available and can be booked up to four weeks in advance.
4. If you no longer require a session you have booked, please cancel it as soon as possible ahead of the session, either through your calendar or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. If you miss more than two sessions with no warning and/or prior cancellation, you cannot book or attend any further sessions for the remaining of the teaching block or assessment period.
Check the time zone on your calendar
Occasionally students have trouble with the time shown for their appointments. If appointments shown as occurring at unusual times (e.g. 11 pm, 4 am) after being booked, it may be that your Google calendar time zone is not set correctly. It is easy to fix this:
Open Google Calendar, click the gear symbol in the top right corner and select 'Settings'. In the 'Country' section, select “United Kingdom” (your current location). Then, in the 'Your current time zone' section, select the “(GMT+01:00) London” (the current zone you are in). Finally, click 'Save' at the bottom of the window. All further appointments you book should be shown at the local (correct) time.