Faculty of Technology
Information for Students
Why do a placement?
Enhance your prospects
- According to the 2013 High Fliers Report - an annual review of graduate vacancies and starting salaries at Britain’s leading employers - 57% of graduate employers would not consider an application from a graduate who had no work experience
- More than four-fifths of the UK’s leading graduate employers are offering paid work experience programmes for students and recent graduates
- Recruiters estimate that 36% of entry-level vacancies at leading graduate employers will be filled by applicants who have already worked for the organisation as an undergraduate
Enjoy the benefits
- All placements advertised by SPEC pay at least National Minimum Wage
- You could improve your degree classification
- You'll make contacts who may be able to help you get a job after graduation
- You'll develop your soft skills such as time management, problem solving and team work
- It will offer you an invaluable insight into your chosen profession or business
- It will enhance your final year of study, helping you decide on subject options
- Some of our placement students are offered permanent graduate positions
What our students say
When I saw there was an opening in my dream job, I knew it would be intensely competitive. I’d studied hard and prepared, but it was my internship that really tipped the balance.
Ola Ajayi, BEng (Hons) Petroleum Engineering
The option of a placement year allows the student to get a feel for what it is like to work in the field that they are essentially training for.
Matthew Prentice, BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
Applying what I’d learnt to solve real world problems was something I really liked. The opportunity to go on a placement year and gain some experience in industry is a great bonus.
Damilola Oyinlola, BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering