Institute of Biological and Biomedical Sciences
REF 2014 Results
In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, 55% of our research was recognised as being world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*). The Grade Point Average (GPA) of our submission was 2.50.
In REF2014, we built upon that research excellence, both in the overall quality of our research and in its impact, with 25 staff submitted (23.8 FTE):-
- 90% of our research overall was rated 4*/3* (world-leading or internationally excellent), up from 55% in RAE 2008;
- 100% of our research impact was classified as 4*/3*;
- Our overall GPA for the submission increased from 2.50 to 3.12;
- We were ranked in the top 20 of 94 submissions (% 4*/3* research activity);
- Within the University Alliance group, we ranked 3rd out of 25 (% 4*/3* research activity).
Professor Geoff Kneale, who led the IBBS submission, commented:
"This is an outstanding result for us, and reflects greatly on the efforts of all academic and research staff associated with the Institute. This places us in the top 15 universities in England in our subject area. I am particularly pleased that building on our excellent result in 2008, the proportion of our research classified as world-leading (4*) has increased by 60%. We have achieved this, not by bringing in senior researchers from elsewhere, but by supporting and nurturing existing staff at all levels and by the appointment of five early career researchers in recent years.
"Our submission also included three highly rated impact case studies: anti-cancer drug design, new therapies for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and ‘next-generation’ oral healthcare products. These three case studies highlight some of the many impacts of our research on society, providing a range of examples to illustrate the success of our impact strategy and the mechanisms for achieving it."
For information on our REF 2014 results, please visit our Featured News page.