Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
Dr Brian Chappell
- Qualifications: Master of Arts (MA), with distinction, Intelligence and Security Studies (Brunel University); Peter Caws Postgraduate Prize. Brunel School of Social Sciences (Brunel University); Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (University of Portsmouth); Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA); DCrimJ (University of Portsmouth).
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Ravelin House, Ravelin Park, Portsmouth, PO1 2QQ
- Telephone: 023 9284 3935
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Brian joined the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies as a senior lecturer in April 2011 following completion of his thirty year career with the Metropolitan Police, New Scotland Yard. During his career he served as a detective at all ranks up to the rank of Detective Chief Inspector where he was a member of the senior management team within the Specialist Crime Directorate. Throughout his career he has worked with a number of specialist departments with national and international responsibilities. He was awarded MBE in 2009.
- Introduction to Criminal Justice -Level 4 FTUG
- Organised Crime- Unit coordinator - Level 6 (distance learning)
- Managing Justice and Security Organisations- Unit coordinator - Level 7 (distance learning)
- Personal Tutor level 6 and 7 (dissertation supervision)
- Police Law and Community Unit, the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing (CKP) - Level 5 FTUG
- Wildlife Crime - Level 5 FTUG
- Youth Crime - Level 5 FTUG
- Policing a diverse society- Level 5 FTUG
- MSc Crime Science, Investigation and Intelligence (Full Time and Part Time Campus based)
- Doctoral examiner
Previous Teaching Responsibilities
- Criminology and Forensic Studies seminar and personal tutor
- Criminal Investigation core unit level 5 FTUG
- Managing Criminal Investigation core unit -Level 6 FTUG
- Introduction to Crime Scene Investigation - Level 5 FTUG
- Course Leader Police, Policy and Leadership
- Tools and Techniques of Crime Science - Level 7 unit
- Managing intelligence - Level 7 unit
- Managing Investigations - Level 7 Unit Coordinator
- Personal tutor distance learning postgraduate programme (dissertation supervision)
- Visiting lecturer - Abu Dhabi Police College, May 2011 - Taught Masters programme.
These include criminal investigation: organised crime, including wildlife crime: serious youth violence: policing specialisms: child protection: covert policing; ethics of intelligence collection and associated competing human rights, legal and risk management issues.