Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
Dr Risto Talas
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) Finnish Language and Literature (University College London, 1992); Master of Business Administration (Cass Business School, 2003); PhD "The efficient relationship between maritime port security and investment" (Cass Business School, 2011)
- Role Title: Lecturer in Security Risk Management
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 3986
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Risto is a lecturer in Security Risk Management. He has previously lectured at Hull University in supply chain management and security; at City, University of London in maritime security studies; at the University of West Indies in risk management and scenario planning; and at Sultan Qaboos University in operations management. He started his career at Lloyd’s of London as a leading underwriter of marine war, aviation war, terrorism and political violence risks. After his MBA at Cass Business School he worked for Maritime and Underwater Security Consultants prior to returning to Cass for his PhD in maritime port security efficiency modelling.
His current research interests include maritime piracy and terrorism; mental health and wellbeing among seafarers, door supervisors and privately contracted armed security personnel; the relationship between critical national infrastructure risk and resilience; and unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) in port security.