Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
Dr Sarah Charman
- Role Title: Reader in Criminology & Distance Learning Undergraduate Programme Area Leader
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 3064
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Dr Sarah Charman has worked at the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Portsmouth since 1994. She has a first degree in Sociology, a Masters in Social Research with Criminology and a PhD which focussed on the formation and development of the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). She has published widely in the area of pressure groups in criminal justice policy making, the role of ACPO and the politics of criminal justice policy. She is currently researching and publishing in two areas: the cultural dynamics and interoperability of the emergency services; and the formation and development of police culture.
I am currently the Programme Area Leader for all distance learning undergraduate degrees which offer students part-time online degrees. Areas of teaching include policing, criminal justice policy making, the politics of criminal justice and criminological theory.
- The sociology of policing
- Police culture
- The politics of law and order