Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
Security and risk management
The University of Portsmouth offers a selection of well-established degree programmes tailored to the educational development of security professionals, who play a vital role in supporting the resilience of governments, commercial organisations, non-governmental organisations and the community. Our security and risk management courses draw on a variety of subjects including management studies, risk management, security management, business continuity management, crisis management, information security, criminology, sociology and law.
Course leaders Professor Mark Button and Dr Alison Wakefield head the UK's largest team of dedicated risk and security scholars, closely involved with the security sector and research-active in the field. As a student in ICJS, you will benefit from this team's research, and that of the Institute's wider staff, through the huge breadth of our curriculum and our attractive package of optional units encompassing the latest thinking.
We offer a range of courses at the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies at every level and through full-time or part-time delivery. The Security and Risk Management courses are:
- BSc (Hons) Risk and Security Management - part time
- MRes Security Risk Management - full time / part time
- DSyRM Professional Doctorate in Security Risk Management - part time
The expertise of the teaching team extends to IT security, enabling the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies to contribute to the following courses:
- BSc (Hons) Cyber Security and Forensic Computing - full time
- PgCert Occupational Health and Safety Management - part time
- MSc Risk, Crisis and Resilience Management - full time / part time
- MSc Crisis and Disaster Management - full time / part time
- MSc Forensic Information Technology - full time / part time
- MSc Forensic Accounting - full time / part time
We recognise experience-based learning through the Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL).