International Students

English Language

English Language Requirements

UK Visas and Immigration Approved English Language Testing


Only two tests are accepted by UKVI as a secure English Language Test (SELT):

  • International English Language Testing System* (IELTS) - test taken worldwide at approved centres

  • Trinity College London - test taken in the UK at approved centres

*When applying for an IELTS test you need to be aware that if you wish to use this for a visa application this will need to be a UKVI approved test. You will need to ensure that you book the correct IELTS test for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). If you do not take the correct test it may put you at a disadvantage when you come to apply to a UK university. If you have not met the UKVI minimum requirements of 5.5 in all four components and need to take a Pre-sessional English Language programme you will not be able to do this unless you have taken the UKVI approved test. If you wish to apply for this test you need to be aware that it costs slightly more than the standard test and has extra security protocols in place when the test is taken. Click here to access the booking page for the UKVI approved test.

Do you have any questions?

If you have any questions about which test you should take, please do not hesitate to contact us: – if you have applied through an agent or partner institution. – if you have applied through UCAS or direct to the University and for other general immigration enquiries.