International Students

Preparing to travel

Preparing to travel

We suggest you visit the following websites for up to date information and advice about studying in the UK:

Important Documents

It is important that you carry all the following documents in your hand luggage otherwise you may be delayed by the Immigration Service for up to four hours while Customs locate your luggage.

  • Your passport or ID card 
  • Your visa - you must not travel to the UK before the 'Valid from' date on your visa. If you have previously held a visa for the UK and have applied for a new visa in your home country you must not travel on your old visa and must travel on or after the 'Valid from' date of your new visa.
  • Your travel tickets
  • Your Orientation Programme
  • Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) or offer letter 
  • All your original certificates and diplomas as on your CAS or offer letter
  • Accommodation contract or letter if you have booked a place in halls of residence or evidence that you have arranged a private address in Portsmouth
  • Tuberculosis (TB) screening & chest x-ray - this is required if you are coming into the UK from certain countries. Please check the UKVI website for more information and to check whether your country is on the list
  • European Health Insurance Card - EHIC (for EU students only)
  • Emergency contact telephone numbers
  • If you have a pre-existing medical condition, please bring any medication you require and copies of your medical notes to show your doctor when you register.

Your Luggage

Do not bring more luggage than you can carry yourself. If you are living in Halls of Residence, you can pre-order a bedding pack and have it delivered to your room on your arrival date. Visit Click2Campus or UniKitOut (for UniKitOut use the discount code PORT17 which will give you 10% off your order).

The UK has a temperate climate and rarely experiences extremes of temperature so you do not need to bring all of your clothes with you.

Do not bring any food or plants with you to the UK. There are strict controls on bringing food, plants and plant products into EU countries because they can carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for guidelines and advice.

Remember to pack something small that reminds you of home.

Keep your important documents like your qualifications, bank statements, visa decision letter and CAS statement in your hand luggage as you may need to show them when you arrive at the Border.



Please do not bring a lot of cash with you. We strongly recommend that you:

  • Ensure that your tuition fees and halls of residence fees are paid in advance by webpay or bank transfer whenever possible
  • Bring a Bank Draft made payable to yourself for your living expenses
  • Bring £350 cash for the Orientation week and first week of term
  • Bring £350 in travellers cheques to cover you until you can set up a bank account
  • A bank account can take 7 to 14 working days to set up, and bank drafts can take a further 7 working days to clear (before you can take money out of the account).

Cash worth more than 10,000 Euros (including money in other currencies) being brought into the UK from outside the European Union must be declared. Cash means currency notes and coins, cheques, travellers cheques and banker's drafts. Those carrying this amount of money must complete a form on arrival, which will be available at ports and airports. If this form is not completed fully or at all, travellers may be fined or money may be taken away from them.

Private Accommodation

We know that most of our new students will decide to stay in University Halls of Residence, but we appreciate that University accommodation may not suit everyone and you might decide to stay in private accommodation.

Private rented accommodation in the city is mostly in shared student houses or lodgings.

We have a dedicated team that can help you find accommodation as well as help you meet other students to share with.

To make sure you find a secure property through a trusted place, please check out our official private-sector accommodation website - all the landlords on here are linked to the University’s Student Housing team so we know who they are.

Alternatively, please use the Student Union's partner accommodation agencies.  

We want you to have a positive experience so please make sure you only visit official accommodation websites and try and view houses in Portsmouth before you sign any papers and before you send any money. 

Do not send money to secure a house until you have seen in person the house or flat you want to take! 

If you have any questions about securing accommodation or would like your contract checked, our Student Housing team will be happy to assist you.

If you are an EU student, please email

If you are an International student, please email