Pre-sessional English Courses
Pre-Sessional English courses (PSE)
We run Pre-Sessional English Language courses for students who have applied to the University of Portsmouth for Undergraduate, Master's or Research Degrees. These courses enjoy exemption from further IELTS testing and offer guaranteed direct progression onto our degree courses. They are particularly suited to the East Asian learner and to applicants from University partner institutions. Find out more about Pre-Sessional English courses.
You can apply for one of these pre-sessional courses if:
- You hold a conditional offer for one of the above courses, but have not yet met the English language standard for entry
- You have met all academic conditions for entry, but have not yet met the English language standard for entry
- You have met all academic conditions for entry and have also met the English language standard, but want to do a refresher course in English (Programme 3)
- You have a current IELTS Certificate or approved equivalent
- No individual IELTS element score is more than one band below your offer (Programme 1) or half a band below your offer (Programme 2)
Language Specialists International (LSI)
We also have a long standing agreement with LSI Portsmouth, an associated language school. LSI offer Pre-Sessional English Language courses (including Extended Pre-Sessional courses). Students completing the PSE courses at LSI are not required to attend in-sessional English classes during the degree course (however, in-sessional English classes are freely available). These courses also enjoy exemption from further IELTS testing and offer guaranteed direct progression onto our degree courses.
LSI courses offer flexibility to accept students with 'jagged profiles' in the elements of the IELTS test (reading, writing, listening, speaking) - these students may be accepted onto the PSE courses at LSI at the discretion of the school. LSI also offer course options for applicants wishing to accommodate observance of Ramadan and the Eid holiday.
For more programme details and costs please visit the LSI website
We are happy to refer applicants to our local partner institutions who offer summer PSE courses. These institutions are accredited by The British Council. Their PSE courses may be suitable if you do not yet have an offer from the University or are unable to enrol in either the SLAS or the LSI programmes. Please note - students taking these PSE courses will have to retake the IELTS test and achieve the required score before being accepted onto any degree course at the University of Portsmouth. The University of Portsmouth is not responsible for the delivery, structure or quality assurance of any PSE course delivered at these institutions.