Entry Requirements

Applying for BA/BSc:

Ontario Secondary School Diploma - Advanced level, with six Grade 12 U, U/C or M courses including grade 12 U English

General High School Diploma with an average of at least 65 per cent in five acceptable Grade 12 courses

British Columbia:
Senior Secondary Graduation Diploma with at least five Bs (BBBBB) awarded in acceptable Grade 12 courses

Diplôme d'Etudes Collègiales (DEC)

If you are from another Canadian province, please email us for more information

Applying for MA/MSc:

Bachelor degree (Honours) with minimum 65% or GPA of 2.6 /4

Some courses require higher grades. For entry onto our MBA International, students will also need at least 3 years relevant work experience after graduation. Work experience is also required for several other postgraduate courses and many courses will require you to have studied relevant subjects. Please see our courses for more details.

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

OSAP provides financial assistance for studies at approved institutions outside of Ontario or overseas. The University of Portsmouth is an approved institution and our institution code is: PVCP.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Student Financial Assistance Branch

Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
PO Box 4500
189 Red River Road, 4th Floor
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
Tel: (807) 343-7260

Recognition of Law degrees in Canada

If you are considering studying LLB Law (or another Law degree) at the University of Portsmouth and are concerned about recognition from the Canadian Law Association, there are just a few steps you will need to take to ensure that you can practice Law on your return to Canada.

In your final year, you will need to register with the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) and arrange to have your transcripts sent to them by the University. The NCA will then send you a list of courses you will need to take to obtain an equivalency to a Canadian Law degree. If you graduate from your UK degree without any marks below 50%, it is likely you will be required to take 4 exams: Foundations of Canadian Law, Canadian Criminal Law and Procedure, Canadian Constitutional Law, and Principles of Canadian Administrative Law. The NCA will advise you if any other exams are required.

You can either complete these courses through a Canadian Law School or through self-study with the NCA. The NCA provides the syllabus for you to study at home and holds tests four time a year. The tests are on a pass/fail basis. Please note that if you pass your British degree with lower than a 2:2 classification (i.e. less than 50% overall), the NCA will not recognise your degree.

Recognition of Health Profession programmes in Canada

We advise all applicants to seek advice and guidance from the professional body in Canada before enrolling on an Optometry or Pharmacy programme. 
For further information please see Pharmacist's Gateway Canada 
For further information please see FORAC Federation of Optometric Regulatory Authorities of Canada 
If you have any further questions about the above, please email

International Alumni Referral Awards

We know that the best promotion is 'word of mouth'. We also know that if students have a good experience at Portsmouth, they will tell their friends, family and colleagues - and sometimes, as a result, one of those people decides to come and study at the University of Portsmouth. We want to formally recognise this assistance in recommending that person to the University of Portsmouth.

The International Alumni Referral Award (IARA) scheme is for current and former University of Portsmouth students who refer an applicant to study here. We reward the current/former student with £400 if their application results in a registration.

How does the scheme work?

Please use the following form:

Please download and complete the International Alumni Referral Award Form above. You must ensure that the International Alumni Referral Award Form is attached to the online application when it is submitted. When you are submitting the online application, please select IARA from the agent drop-down menu and attach a copy of the completed IARA Form with the 'Supported Documents Area'.

Please note: we cannot link the application to you after we have received the application and it has been input into the University's Admissions System.

If you have any questions about this scheme, please email us.

Our Representatives

If you would like to apply to study at the University of Portsmouth, please contact one of our representatives for your country:

Sands Educational and Career Consultancy Services

47 Second Avenue
North, Sudbury, Ontario
Contact: Scott Fisher
Tel: +1 705 566 5821

Barclay Educational Services

Suite 312A, McMaster University Innovation Park,
175 Longwood Road South, Hamilton, Ontario, L8P-0A1
Contact: Jacqueline Barclay
Tel: +1 905 632 0999 / 888 632 0666