Accessing Electronic Resources
You need your University of Portsmouth computer account (institutional login) username and password to access most of the Library's electronic resources either on campus or more especially when off campus.
If you haven't yet set up your computer account, you can do so online. If you have problems creating an account please see the Information Services pages for assistance. Information Services also provides help for forgotten usernames and passwords.
Please note: all computer accounts are managed through Information Services. The Library does not have access to, or the ability to change, your computer account.
Using Your Login
With your computer account you can now access the Library's e-resources, whether from the Library's webpages, the Library Catalogue, Moodle or from any FullText@Portsmouth links you find in Google Scholar.
We use an authentication system to enable you to use your University of Portsmouth username and password to log in to selected services outside of Portsmouth. Sometimes called 'single sign on' or 'institutional login' it saves you having to remember individual account details for every service you use.
When you access an e-resource which requires a login, one of two things might happen:
- You will be shown a University of Portsmouth login screen. Just enter your computer account username and password
- You will not be shown a login screen. In this case:
- Locate the Shibboleth/Institutional/Academic login link and click on it.
- Select 'Institutional login' (or sometimes 'Academic sign-in') which will allow login via the UK Access Management Federation
- find and select 'University of Portsmouth' on the list of institutions (note: this is sometimes listed under 'P', sometimes 'U')
- click on the link and you will be taken to a University of Portsmouth login screen where you can enter your username and password.
Tip: if you are working away from the University campus, you can minimise the need to repeatedly login to resources by setting up either the VPN or web proxy services. See the Work Anywhere page for details.
A few of our e-resources do not accept logins using your University username, or will not allow access from off campus. We maintain a list of these resources on our Passwords for Resources page. We endeavour to indicate when a different password will be required in any reference to such resources.