Student magazine 'The Collegiate' published in the 1950's - just one of the items available in the archive collection
Are you interested in finding out more about the history of the University or the students and staff that have studied, worked and played here?
The University of Portsmouth archive collection is based in the University Library and includes material not only from the current university but also its predecessors and associated organisations Portsmouth and Gosport School of Science 1869 – 1894, Portsmouth Municipal and Technical Institute 1894 – 1908 Portsmouth Municipal College 1908-1953, Portsmouth College of Technology 1953-1969, Portsmouth Polytechnic 1969-1992, Portsmouth College of Education (Formerly Portsmouth Training College) 1907 -1976 and the College of Art 1894-1994
If you would like to use the archive or have an enquiry, please contact the archivist Anna Delaney who will be happy to help. Anna works part time and is available on Mondays, Tuesdays and on Wednesday mornings.
Tel: 023 9284 3292
The collection can be consulted by appointment only in the archive room. Here are some guidelines when using the archive collection as many items are unique and irreplaceable:
- Please make any handwritten notes in pencil rather than pen.
- Items should be handled with care as many are fragile. A book rest is available to use with large bound volumes.
- No food or drinks are allowed.
- Please wash your hands to ensure that they are clean before handling documents.
- You may wish to bring a digital camera as it will not be possible to copy some items due to their format and condition.
- Reuse of images is subject to copyright restrictions. Please consult the archivist for further information.
- Some items in the collection may not be available for consultation as they contain sensitive information
- Some of our catalogues are now also available to search on the Archives Hub
Calling staff and students past and present
The archive is now collecting items relevant to the history of the University. If you have something that you would like to add to the collection, get in touch and the archivist will be pleased to discuss this with you.
The catalogue listings can be viewed here as PDF’s.