Did you know? Property worth hundreds of thousands of pounds is recovered by police every year, but only a small percentage of that property is returned to the rightful owner.
- Always report theft to the police. Your insurance company will require a police incident number.
- Permanently and visibly mark property. This can deter thieves, as anyone found in possession of it is likely to be convicted of an offence.
- Mark your property with both and ordinary marker pen and an ultraviolet (UV) pen to create identification visible and invisible to the naked eye.
- UV ink will fade in sunlight and with regular polishing, so write on the underside of goods or inside battery compartments, and on the topside of CD and DVDs.
- Don't forget mp3 players and mobile phones.
- Use the tamper-proof labels and pens provided by the University. You can write your student ID number on the sticker with an ordinary pen and beside it with a UV pen.
- Register your property for free at www.immobilise.com. This will help the police to return your belongings if they get stolen.
- Immobilise also includes provisions to block your mobile phone. You should also contact your network provider if your phone is lost or stolen.
Free property-marking labels and pens can be obtained from:
- Halls of Residence reception desks
- The Students' Union
- The Nuffield Centre