Victim of a crime?
If you become the victim of a crime, it is very important that you report it to the police or University Security and Surveillance immediately or as soon as possible.
Contact the police in Portsmouth
- phone 0845 045 45 45
- dial 101 to report all non-emergency crime and incidents such as vandalism, abandoned vehicles and anti-social behaviour, or you can use it for general enquiries.
- or in an emergency phone 999
Police can then take immediate steps to apprehend the offender. If you wait, valuable evidence will be lost.
Or call University Security on 84 3333 from halls or 023 9284 3333 from an outside line.
Police stations in Portsmouth
- Cosham: Wnyte Street, Cosham
- Fratton: Kingston Crescent
- Portsmouth Central: Winston Churchill Avenue
- Southsea: Highland Road
Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
SARC is available to anyone, male or female, over the age of 13 who has been a victim of rape or serious sexual assault in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. The Treetops Centre provides a team of staff to help victims deal with the trauma of rape or serious sexual assault. You can have the choice of whether or not to report a rape or sexual assault to the police.
T: 023 9221 0352
The centre is open seven days a week, 8.00am to 6.00pm.
Claiming on insurance
To claim on your insurance you will need a crime number from the police. When reporting the crime try to think of the following:
- description of person involved
- gender: male/female
- age and height
- hair: colour/length/style
- build: tall/thin/stocky
- other distinguishing marks, e.g. tattoos, scars and so on
If a vehicle is involved, record the following:
- description of vehicle (e.g. salon, estate)
- description of driver
- number of occupants/descriptions
- direction of travel
Useful telephone numbers
- Crimestoppers: 0800 555111
- Guildhall Halls: 023 9284 3880
- Langstone Campus: 023 9284 4529
- Rees and Burrell House: 023 9284 3884
- Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC): 023 9221 0352
- Student Advice Services: 023 9284 3466
- Student Housing: 023 9284 3124
- Student Neighbour Liaison Officer: 023 9284 3214 or 023 9289 3214
- Students Union: 023 9284 3640
- University Police Liaison Officer: 023 9284 5989
- University Security and Surveillance: 023 9284 3418 / 3333