Operations and Systems Management
Dr. Alaa Garad
- Qualifications: PhD, University of Salford, UK Master of Quality Management, UAE Bachelor of Commerce, Egypt.
- Role Title: Senior Teaching Fellow in Strategic Quality Management
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: 023 9284 4789
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Operations and Systems Management
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
Alaa is a highly skilled academic and practitioner with extensive experience in management, organisational learning, and Strategic Quality Management. As a senior management consultant and assessor, Alaa has extensive hands-on experience of practical implementations of business tools and techniques across a variety of industries and organisational structures. Published author and a columnist in addition to two books with a proven record of excellence in practice-based teaching, executive training and mentoring. His areas of expertise include ISO Standards, SLAs, Balanced Scorecard, EFQM Excellence Model, Investors in People, organisational learning, action learning, benchmarking, suggestions systems, and mystery shopping. Alaa is columnist at Emarat Al Youm Newspaper and he authored two books; he is a regular guest at several TV channels. Alaa lead consultancy projects at over 400 companies across several countries including Maldives, Philippines, Bulgaria, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman and Saudi Arabia. He also has designed, delivered and reviewed vast number of syllabuses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in addition to supervision of research at master and doctoral levels. Some of his affiliations includes:
- Fellow, Society for Leadership, St. George House
- Chairman, Egyptian Association for Learning
- Executive Board Member, International Foundation for Action Learning
Teaching responsibilities include:
- Unit Coordinator, Integrated Management, SQM
- Design, deliver, review and update units as Unit Coordinator within the subject area for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Contribute to continuing development and enhancement of the curriculum, including proposing new units and active participation at subject group meetings.
- Design and undertake research and business engagement activities Supervise undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations, and similar independent learning activities.
- Undertake academic course, unit related administrative tasks. Undertake placement visits to undergraduate students and resolve any problems identified by student or employer’s representative.
- Contribute to student recruitment activities.
- Act as a Personal Tutor to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Take part in relevant aspects of the student support and assessment processes
Alaa research interest includes:
- Organisational Learning & Learning Organisations
- Strategic Quality Management and Business Excellence
- ISO Standards and Management Frameworks (e.g. EFQM, IIP, BSC)
- HRD with focus on Learning & Development
- Innovation Management
Garad, A., and Martis, F., (2017), Investors in People and Business Excellence in the United Arab Emirates; Part 2 from BE to IIP – Case Study, International Journal of HRD Practice, Policy and Research, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 67-79.
Garad, A., (2016), Investors in People and Business Excellence in the United Arab Emirates Part 1: Establishing the Link, International Journal of HRD Practice, Policy and Research, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 83-92.
Garad, A., (2016) Two and Half Words; Series of Published Articles in Management, Learning and Self-Development, Book One, Cairo Egypt.
Garad, A., (2015) The Pathway to the Top: Achieving Business Excellence through Organisational Learning (in Arabic), Dar El Ketab Elhadeeth, Cairo, Egypt. - 2014 – Present: over 140 weekly article at Emarat Al Youm Newspaper, United Arab Emirates http://www.emaratalyoum.com/1.664619