Operations and Systems Management
Dr Shahin Gelareh
- Qualifications: BSc in App. Math., MSc in Math/OR, PhD in Math/Optimization
- Role Title: Senior Lectuer in Operations Research and Analytics
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: 0239284 (4728)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Operations and Systems Management
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
I received my PhD in Optimization from the Technical University of Kaiserslautern. I have been involved in research in combinatorial optimization arising in Logistics and Telecommunications since over 10 years. I have worked in several research (and development) projects such as a project within the framework of NOL-Fellowship at the National University of Singapore, ENERPLAN at the Technical University of Denmark and InTraDE at the Polytech’Lille and University of Artois in France and several other national and international projects. I am also involved in some consultancy activities across Europe and Middle East.
My current favorite project is BENMIP-- A Generic Benders Decomposition MIP Solver, which is aimed at being an automated Benders decomposition mechanism as a stand-alone MIP solver and a programmable interface built on top of COIN-OR.
My research mainly centers around modelling (mathematical programming and simulation) and algorithm design (polyhedral, decomposition and other advanced mathematical programming methods as well as metaheuristics and hybrid methods) for various (large scale) real-life problems arising in logistics, transportation and telecommunications.
I am interested in combinatorial optimization, mathematical programming methods and algorithms, uncertainty modeling and a wide range of problems in logistics and telecommunications including network design, traffic management and distribution.
I am a member of Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Transportation Research: Part E, Elsevier.
I have carried out research, teaching and course development in Mathematics, Operations Research and Computer Science since 2003.
You can write to me in English, French, Persian, German, and Arabic.
- Mathematical programming
- Metaheuristics and hybrid methods
- Constraint programming
- Facility location and network design
- Routing and distribution planning (in transportation and telecommunications)
- Uncertainty modeling and robustness
- Fleet deployment and crew planning
- Competition and coopetition modeling
- Synchromodality in multimodal transport
- Traffic engineering and Internet Protocol routing
- Online optimization in the complex and highly dynamic environments (container terminals, hospitals flexible manufacturing systems, etc.)
- Logistics in the sector of energy (LNG shipping and rural distribution, workover rig scheduling, etc.)
- Healthcare logistics and mobility