Portsmouth Business School
Levy Paying Organisations
Working with your provider - Levy paying Organisations
If you are an organisation with a pay bill of over £3m you will be subject to paying 0.5 per cent levy for apprenticeships. You have a choice of how to spend your levy but it may be that you are interested in developing your existing talent or recruiting new talent to support to level 6 (Degree Apprenticeships).
Since providing our first Degree Apprenticeship cohort 2016, BA (Hons) Business Leadership and Management degree (Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship) with success we are looking to expand our suite of courses offered. This has been led by employer demand as we are currently working as providers within the trailblazing teams to launch further business related Degree Apprenticeships for September 2017 at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The degree apprenticeship team wish to work closely with employers, degree apprentices and mentors to ensure that maximum benefit is gained in terms of transferability of knowledge, skills and professional behaviours directly into the work place. Therefore, through this three way relationship we can identify meaningful projects and assignments that are relevant to your business through our strong focus on work based learning at degree level. We believe that the responsibility to ensure that the value of Degree Apprenticeships is upheld is with all stakeholders.
How do I recruit?
As a large organisation, you may not need assistance from the University to recruit or select appropriate candidates but we are here if you need us:-
- To provide further information to ensure that the Degree Apprenticeship will reflect your organisation’s needs
- To advise on selection criteria to be eligible for the Degree Apprenticeship courses
- To provide further information regarding the course – the design and delivery
- To guide through the funding
If you call our Business Services and Research Office (BSRO) on +44 (0) 23 9284 4488 we can arrange for a member of the Degree Apprenticeship team to visit you at you organisation. It would be great if you communicate your interest in place(s) early on so that your existing staff have the chance to work to help design a work programme for you.
Together we have an opportunity to transform business education. To provide education that is relevant to your organisation’s needs. By developing either existing employees or recruiting new apprentices whilst they are working with you they can practice their new skills and knowledge learnt at University by contributing to your organisation goals.
The commitment required to fulfil this from employers are:--
- Provide the apprentice full-time employment (30 hours per week) and an employment contract
- To release the Degree Apprentice from their work environment for 36 teaching days per year – 1 day per week for 10 weeks each term (3 terms) plus two induction day each term
- To ensure line managers are supportive of their studies – helping to identify appropriate work-based problems, supporting the apprentice to practice their new skills.
- If available, to suggest appropriate mentors, if is a manager’s first opportunity to mentor amd apprentice the University can support with training (free two day course during summer period)
- Levy paying organisations would pay £9000 per year from their levy account (per student)
We would also strongly encourage that you join us at our annual Business Conference Day where we showcase the Degree Apprentices achievements but also join our Business Community at Hot topic events.
Please see the testimonials from the 2016 cohort.