Portsmouth Business School
Our current DBA students
- Role Title: DBA student
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: tbc
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Portsmouth Business School
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
The potential of the human factors concept for change management success
My research focuses on the human factors that affect the performance and limitations of humans in high risk industries in applied change projects. Knowing that roughly 70% of all plane crashes are caused by human factors, I assume that a similar number of ‘change crashes’ attributable to human factors can be found in change management.
My research aims to examine the potential of human factors awareness on the effectiveness of change programmes. My research will address the following questions:
- Which aspects of human factors in high risk environments are applicable to business settings?
- Which of these aspects are particularly relevant for change programmes?
- How can the human factors approach be used to increase the effectiveness of change initiatives and/or decrease their failure rate?
- How can these insights inform an innovative approach to business training?
The main focus of my research is the aviation industry but my findings in relation to change management will be relevant to a wider range of sectors. My research will add value to change processes by adding new knowledge about the reasons for the high failure rate of many change projects. I hope to apply the findings of my research in the development of a new change management training concept.