Portsmouth School of Architecture

About


80 Years of Architecture and Design

1930 First courses in Architecture were offered at Portsmouth College of Technology.
1944

School gained RIBA recognition for Intermediate (Part 1).

1959

The School moved into a new building with the College of Art.

1966 The School was transferred to Portsmouth Polytechnic.
1969 The first CNAA degree course was offered.
1971 The School moved into King Henry Building.
1992

The Polytechnic became the University of Portsmouth and the Part 1: BA (Honours) Architecture, Part 2: Diploma in Architecture, and the Part 3 Examination developed towards their current forms.

1996

Move from the King Henry Building to the award winning Portland Building, designed by Professor Sir Colin Stansfield Smith with Hampshire County Architects.

2002 The BA (Honours) Interior design course started.
2008 The School established a Project Office, an architectural consultancy, to promote consultancy, and ‘live’ projects, which proactively engage the school and students in city and regional initiatives.
2009 New MA Interior Design, MA Urban Design and MA Sustainable Architecture and the MSc Historic Building Conservation course.
2014

Move to Eldon West.

The consolidation of the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI), brought the School of Architecture to an excellent new building at Eldon West where all parts of the Faculty together provide a creative cluster and opportunities for collaboration.

The BA (Hons) Interior Design course changed its name to BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design to align with the content of the course and current industry practices.

Be part of our future…