Portsmouth School of Architecture
80 Years of Architecture and Design
|1930||First courses in Architecture were offered at Portsmouth College of Technology.|
School gained RIBA recognition for Intermediate (Part 1).
The School moved into a new building with the College of Art.
|1966||The School was transferred to Portsmouth Polytechnic.|
|1969||The first CNAA degree course was offered.|
|1971||The School moved into King Henry Building.|
The Polytechnic became the University of Portsmouth and the Part 1: BA (Honours) Architecture, Part 2: Diploma in Architecture, and the Part 3 Examination developed towards their current forms.
Move from the King Henry Building to the award winning Portland Building, designed by Professor Sir Colin Stansfield Smith with Hampshire County Architects.
|2002||The BA (Honours) Interior design course started.|
|2008||The School established a Project Office, an architectural consultancy, to promote consultancy, and ‘live’ projects, which proactively engage the school and students in city and regional initiatives.|
|2009||New MA Interior Design, MA Urban Design and MA Sustainable Architecture and the MSc Historic Building Conservation course.|
Move to Eldon West.
The consolidation of the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries (CCI), brought the School of Architecture to an excellent new building at Eldon West where all parts of the Faculty together provide a creative cluster and opportunities for collaboration.
The BA (Hons) Interior Design course changed its name to BA (Hons) Interior Architecture and Design to align with the content of the course and current industry practices.
Be part of our future…