Portsmouth School of Architecture
Mr Greg Bailey
- Qualifications: FHEA, MArch (Prof. Practice), Dip. Arch., BArch
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2095
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I found architecture somewhat later than most, following a life of varied occupations including Classic Car Restoration, Strain Engineering, Oil Industry trouble-shooting in Africa, running a Pottery and retailing garden stonework and furniture. I studied at Portsmouth School of Architecture and the Technische Universitat in Vienna. I’ve worked as architect in Local Authority and Private practice and ran my own practice on the Isle of Wight until recently. I’ve been teaching at Portsmouth since 2006 and occasionally in Ljubljana, Slovenia since 2009.
My specialisms/enthusiasms include:
- Housing – it’s importance to ordinary people
- Social responsibility of architects
- The spiritual in architecture
- Learning as a three-way process
- Hand drawing + model making
- Deconstructed thinking and handmade building
- Travelling – preferably by camper van
Most importantly, I have a firm belief in the inestimable value of the study of architecture in its broadest sense to a student’s personal growth and development, particularly the transformational learning possibilities of travel.
- Leader, BA2 undergraduate Studio
- Tutor, MArch 1+2 postgraduate Studio
- Writing Support Coordinator, MArch 1
- Dissertation tutor, BA3
My research focus is currently the Balkan region, considering the potential learning , both architecturally and personally, to be gained through examination and attempted understanding of the hugely rich cultural context, complex history and aspirations of people in the region. This is undertaken in direct conjunction with students through studio activity.