Portsmouth School of Architecture
Mr Roger Tyrrell
- Qualifications: FHEA, Registered Architect, Cert. Prof. Practice, Dip. Arch., BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2082
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I joined the University of Portsmouth in 1997 and I lead the Emergent Studio in MArch 1 and 2 and teach in BA3 studio. In addition, I deliver the Manifesto taught Unit in MArch 1 and contribute to units in Years 1 and 3 of the undergraduate programme.
My research and teaching are both focused on the study of architecture from a phenomenological and tectonic perspective, with particular reference to the philosophical, social and cultural dimensions of the subject. In the last five years my research activity has been focused upon interrogating the work and design methodology of Jørn Utzon from a paradigmatic perspective.
I am particularly interested in the relationship between architecture and contemporary culture and the Emergent Studio continues to interrogate architecture in a trans-cultural context, having developed projects in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Morocco in collaboration with colleagues from local Universities.
These interests have led to engagement with the architectural paradigm of Jørn Utzon, working with the Utzon Research Center in Aalborg, Denmark. In developing this research I instigated with others the Jørn Utzon Research Network (JURN) of which I am co-director. JURN is a collaborative academic network designed to interrogate the Utzon paradigm and experiment through application within contemporary contexts. The network has partner institutions in Australia, Morocco and Denmark.
This research activity led to the Fourth International Utzon Symposium in collaboration with the Faculty of Built Environment of the University of New South Wales (FBE-UNSW), Sydney, Australia and the conjoined Second International Utzon Workshop in collaboration with the University of Tasmania (UTas) held on Bruny Island, Tasmania in March 2014.
- MArch Emergent Studio Leader (Years 1+2)
- BA3 Studio Tutor
- Unit 420 (Manifesto) contributor (theory)
- PhD First Supervisor
- Co-Director of the Jørn Utzon Research Network (JURN) focused upon the interrogation of Utzon’s work and design methodology and projecting discourse into contemporary architectural academic debate. Led 3rd Utzon International Symposium and Inaugural International Workshop(Morocco 2012) and the 4th International Utzon Symposium (Sydney, Australia) and 2nd International Utzon Workshop (Tasmania) in March 2014.
- Academics outputs include a range of Edited Books, Books, Book Chapters, Academic Papers and Conference Papers focused upon the design methodology of Utzon and pedagogic theory.
- Developing ‘Theory of Critical Non-Theory in collaboration with UoP colleagues and international institutions.