Centre for Art, Architecture and Design (CAAD)
The principles of CAAD
Our primary objectives with CAAD are:
- To encourage participation in research across both School at all levels, from early career researchers to more experienced published staff.
- That we develop an environment that encourages all staff to participate in research and we work to develop the strengths of teaching and learning excellence in both Schools.
- In addition we need to disseminate the research work in the school as widely as possible through exhibition, web site, and newsletters.
- We initiate a series of seminars that encourage discussion, debate and research outputs.
In this year we need to work towards a position where all staff discuss their intended research outputs and that we encourage:
- Collaborative working on research projects across schools and externally with commercial and educational organisations nationally and internationally
- Clear relationships of research work to our teaching and learning at all levels
- Develop strategies to raise funds to support research through relevant bid and research fund applications
- To work to mentor staff new to research and develop a culture that encourages participation
- To work with those staff identified to be submitted for the REF to ensure that their research outputs are as developed as possible for submission in November 2012
Any bids from staff from either School for money to support a research initiative or project needs to be submitted to the CAAD group via Sarah Eaton for consideration for funding. This is for conference participation and presentation, through to project bids.
Research Seminars and Groups
To facilitate and encourage research work a series of research groups have been identified:
- Aesthetics and Politics of Representation - Judy Harrison
- Visual Connectivity (Art/Science) - Marius Kwint
- Extending Practice - Mike Harkins
- Interaction and Play - Simone Gumtau
- Interior Design - Belinda Mitchell and Lynne Mesher
- Urban and Landscape Design - Fabiano Lemes and Kate Baker
- Sustainable Design - Huw Heywood and Sura Almayah
- Architectural Contexts and Theories - Martin Pearce
- Transcultural Design - Roger Tyrrell
- Design Teaching Pedagogies and Methodologies - Rachael Brown and Bryony Whitmarsh