Centre for European and International Studies Research (CEISR)
Mrs Tricia Coverdale-Jones
Principal Lecturer, Faculty E-learning Coordinator
School of Languages and Area Studies
King Henry I Street
- BA German and English (Keele)
- PGCE (Keele)
- MA Applied linguistics and New Technologies (Hull)
- RSA Diploma Teaching English for Specific Purposes
- Language Across Borders
- Intercultural Communication
- International Business Communication
- Internationalisation of HE
Current Research Projects
- Internationalisation in Japan
- Approaches to student induction – joint research with Professor M. Chikada, Centre for the Studies of Higher Education, Nagoya University, Japan. Presented at AC21 conference, Shanghai Jiaotong University, October 2010
- Transnational Higher Education in the Asian Context. 2012 Houndsmills: Palgrave Macmillan
- with Rastall, P. Internationalising the University: the Chinese Context. 2009. Houndsmills: Palgrave Macmillan
- with Rastall, P. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 19 (1) 2006 - Special Issue on The Needs of the Chinese Learner. Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters
- 2012 "International Approaches to Transnational Higher Education" Nagoya Journal of Higher Education, pp. 193-210.
- “Afterword: The Chinese learner in Perspective”. In Coverdale-Jones, T. & Rastall P. (Eds.), Language, Culture and Curriculum, 19 (1) - Special Issue on The Needs of the Chinese Learner 2006; pp. 71-86. Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters
- 1998 “Does CMC really have a reduced social dimension?” ReCALL, Volume 10, No. 1, May 1998 pp. 46-52. Hull, UK: Journal of the CTI Centre for Modern Languages, University of Hull. ISSN 0958 3440.
- 1998 “Does CMC really have a reduced social dimension?” Published in Pilbeam, A. & O’Connor, P (Eds) (2000). “Heritage and Progress”. Bath, LTS Training & Consultancy/ SIETAR Europa (Society for Intercultural Education, Training and Research). 1998:59-267. ISBN 0 9537887 09
- 1999 “The Use of electronic communication tools for language learning: Issues and Considerations”. BALEAP. Published in “EAP Learning Technologies” edited by Peter Howarth and Rupert Herington. 1998, pp. 68-78. Leeds; Leeds University Press. ISBN 0 853262123
- 1999 “The use of Videoconferencing as a communication tool for language learning”, IALL ’99 conference, University of Maryland, Washington, USA. June 1999. The IALL Journal, Spring 2000; pp 27-40. (Vol 32, No. 1)
- 1999 “Cross-Cultural Communication Online? What is possible or desirable in electronic communication?” In D. Killick, M. Parry & A. Phipps (Eds), The poetics and praxis of languages and intercultural communication. Glasgow: Glasgow French & German Publications.
- 2001 “Cross-cultural Issues in Computer Conferencing” In Culture, Gender and Personhood;Discourses for learning life opportunities. Busher, Coleman & Morrison, Working Paper No. 2, University of Leicester, ISBN 0-902254-77-4
- 2002 (With Anu Bissonauth-Bedford) “Using the virtual campus for Language Learning: a case study in pedagogical and practical approaches to using ICT” (Online publication only)
- 2003 “Cultural Effects in the Use of Discussion Lists for Language Learning”. Published in “Tell & Call” University of Vienna, Austria. 2005, pp. 43-45
- 2012 “Internationalisation of Higher Education in Japan and the UK - similarities and contrasts” in Coverdale-Jones, T. (Ed.) Transnational higher education in the Asian context. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- 2012 “Introduction: the widening context of Transnational Higher Education (TNHE)” in Coverdale-Jones, T. (Ed.) Transnational Higher Education in the Asian Context. Houndsmills: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2012 “Success Factors in the Implementation of eLearning in a UK Higher Education Institution” in Rebecca Clothey, Stacy Austin-Li and John Weidman) (Editors) Post-Secondary Education and Technology: A Global Perspective on Opportunities and Obstacles to Development. Houndsmills: Palgrave Macmillan
- 2009 “Afterword: Responses to Internationalisation in the UK and the International Context and a Survey on Responses to Intercultural Communication Teaching”. In Coverdale-Jones, T. & Rastall, P. Internationalising the University: the Chinese Context pp. 223-238. Houndsmills: Palgrave Macmillan
- 2009 “The Value and Experience of eLearning” in Diwujie Zhongguo Ji Dongya Diqu Xuexizhe Guoji Yantaohui Lunwenji , a collection of papers from the 5th international conference on Chinese and East-Asian Learners held at Shandong University, Qingdao October 2009. Changcun, Jiling Province: Northeast Normal University Press
- 2008 Intercultural learning: how this can enhance the student learning experience during study abroad”. Published in Kemble, I., Khoutyz, I., O’Sulivan C. & Tkhorik, V. Essays on Languages and Translation: from textual analysis to pedagogical application, pp71-86. Krasnodar and Portsmouth: Kuban: Kuban State University
- “The East Asian Learners' response to intercultural themes as part of the year abroad in the UK”
- HEA LLAS Subject Centre-funded research project (Online publication only)
- 2005 HEA LLAS Subject Centre grant of £1000
- UK-Japan Development Partnership, (University of Portsmouth) – selected as representative for this in 2010, grant for travel to Nagoya University
- External examining and validations at various universities
- Editorial panel member for AJELT (Asian Journal of English Language Teaching) since 2007
- Article Reviewer for Language and Education journal (Taylor and Francis) from 2009
- Article Reviewer for Macmillan.
- Visiting Professor at Nagoya University, Japan, Oct 2011- February 2012. This involved research in the Centre Studies of Higher Education on the theme of Internationalisation of Higher Education.