School of Art and Design
Our mission is to provide an educational ethos which develops your creative potential along with your critical and cultural awareness as an artist, or as a designer.
Art and design has a long and distinguished history of being taught in the city of Portsmouth, with an art school going back to the 1880’s. Today the School of Art and Design offers a dynamic portfolio of distinctive courses with dedicated staff and specialist resources.
We pride ourselves that graduates from the School of Art and Design are highly employable, informed practitioners with an individual voice.
What We Offer
The experience we offer combines
- Emphasis on your own creative and personal development
- Skills, knowledge and awareness from enthusiastic staff with high levels of expertise
- Integrated links with industry to further your professional career
- Opportunities to exhibit externally, enter national and international competitions, and work on live projects
- Development of transferable skills including: research, project management and communication skills
We are located in the Eldon Building which boasts excellent facilities and substantial investment in IT, estates and equipment. Our workshops are well resourced and managed and student feedback indicates high levels of satisfaction with our resources which is of great importance to practice based students.
For B.A. students there are opportunities to do a placement year to experience working in a relevant sector.
The School of Art and Design offers a valuable learning environment in which students can progress from BA to join the postgraduate taught masters ( MA) courses or the research degree programme ( PhD).
Research skills are common to all the taught courses and you will be guided in appropriate research processes to further your learning and experimentation.
The culture of research is very important in the School and reflected in the aspirations of the staff as well as in their teaching.