School of Art and Design
Ms Christine Field
- Qualifications: Cert. Ed., PGCertLTHE, BA(Hons), FHEA
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer – BA (Hons) Fashion and Textile Design
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 3823
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Art and Design
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
Before joining the University of Portsmouth, I taught a variety of adult education student groups across Portsmouth, both at local colleges and within the community. I have a broad experience of working with a wide range of learner groups including multiethnic, special educational needs and with a variety of ages from teenager to the retired.
The subject focus of my degree, technical and sculptured, illustrates my approach to design. Whilst being open to a wide range of contextual influences, my work consistently demonstrates technical expertise in pattern cutting and garment construction. My approach to teaching is supported by a wide range of City and Guilds awards in fashion, tailoring, contemporary and machine embroidery.
My specialist qualifications are combined with my PGCertLTHE qualification to ensure that my students are given the very best help when planning and executing their project work.
- Delivering studio and workshop sessions, specifically in pattern cutting and garment construction, on the BA (Hons) Fashion and Textile Design course.
- Unit coordinator for level 4 unit Core Skills Fashion and level 5 unit Live Projects.
- Personal Tutor for undergraduate students on the BA (Hons) Fashion and Textile Design course.
I am particularly inspired by the concept of creative pattern cutting. My degree included projects such as ‘zero waste’ where garments were designed to utilise the entire fabric with no wastage and origami inspired designs. Shapes subtracted from drawings become the pattern pieces for contemporary designs. The creative pattern cutting approach is an area I continue to develop through my teaching and provides a potential focus for MA study.