School of Art and Design
Dr Jackie Batey
- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer; Course Leader - MA Illustration
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 3804
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Art and Design
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
My background is in Illustration and new media. I worked as a freelance illustrator for many clients including E4, Oxford University Press and Country Life. I initially lectured at the University of Brighton on the Sequential MA before joining Portsmouth in 1995 on the Illustration BA course. I have also worked on University research projects, incorporating new media from interactive educational material focussed on zines and artist’s books. I completed my practice-based Ph.D at the University of Brighton in 2003. My Ph.D research focussed on the capacity of imagery within advertising to encapsulate the problems of visual representation in commercial illustration and design, e.g. the ways in which the states of mind are to be represented (delight, gratitude, despair and relaxation).
I was invited by the Royal Academy to represent the genre of artist's books in their summer show 2010. I have attended conferences internationally to speak about artist's books, zines and Damp Flat Books.
- Senior Lecturer on the Illustration BA (Hons) course:
- Unit coordinator and tutor for the final year unit ‘Professional Promotion’ where students design an online portfolio, an illustration portfolio and a creative CV or self-published multiple, with view to their preferred career direction.
- Unit coordinator and tutor for the second year unit, ‘Social Awareness’ where students develop their research methodology by exploring a social issue in depth. Students identify an area of research then write their own brief to help them identify and develop a visual solution, often working with community groups or schools.
- Also tutor on second year units in ‘Bookworks’, ‘Sequential Illustration’, ‘Number in Print’.
- Final year tutor on all units in Level 6.
- Course Leader - MA Illustration:
- This course offers students the opportunity to question, develop and reflect upon their own practice by exploring both traditional and innovative techniques.There is an emphasis on socially aware projects.
My research is practice-based, creating handmade limited edition artist’s books under the brand name of Damp Flat Books. These are held in many permanent collections such as the V&A Museum, Tate Britain, The Getty Institute in Los Angeles and the Joan Flasch Collection, Chicago. I am featured on the V&A Website as an example (one of 6) representing U.K. Book Artists. I am also interested in zines and has set up a collection called Zineopolis that is located within the School of Art and Design, which I also curate. I delivered a paper at a Books and Publishing conference in Toronto in 2012, which sought to define the genre of the ‘art-zine’. I also produce my own satirical serial zine, Future Fantasteek! Now on its 16th issue - the series has recently toured the US and UK and is collected by many galleries, including Tate Britain and the British Library. Currently I am working on new artist’s books and zines as well as exploring digital versions for ipads, e-readers and mobile phones. I am also exploring printmaking for artist’s books.
Please visit my Damp Flat Books site for more information on my research.