School of Art and Design
Dr Jonathan Baggaley
- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA(Hons), PGCE(HE)
- Role Title: Lecturer – BA (Hons) Photography
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 3854
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Art and Design
- Faculty: Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
I am a visual artist, researcher and lecturer based in Hampshire. My photographic practice began in the 1980s whilst completing a studio-based photography HND at Swansea Institute (then WGIHE). After many years working in commercial ceramics I returned to photography in 2006 completing an MA at the Arts University Bournemouth in 2009. I have recently completed an AHRC funded practice based PhD at the University of Brighton.
- Unit coordinator and lecturer: Documentary Practices (Level 5)
- Unit coordinator and lecturer: City Spaces (Level 4)
- Lecturer: Major Projects in Photography (Level 6)
- Lecturer: The Body (Level 5)
- Lecturer: MA Photography
Typically my photographic work reflects an interest in the conventions of visual display and representation and how these might become usefully incorporated as subject matter within a medium that itself forms a part of these conventions. My current research centres on the traditional photographic portrait studio as a space of modernity and desire and how this might offer insights into photography as a psychic apparatus.
My work has recently been exhibited at the Text and Work gallery in Bournemouth, The Photographers’ Gallery and Flowers East in London and at the Grand Parade and Dorset Place galleries in Brighton.
My work can be found on my website.