School of Art and Design
Mr Michael Harkins
- Qualifications: PGCLTHE, MA, BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer; Course Leader - MA Graphic Design
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5683
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Art and Design
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I gained my first degree in Typography from the University of Plymouth, Exeter School of Arts and Design. Part of this time was spent studying at the Hoogeschool voor de Beelden Kusnt, Arnhem in the Netherlands. I gained my MA from Central Saint Martins School of Arts and Design, London, where my major study area was in typeface design.
I worked as a professional designer, initially in London and Brighton before moving on to become a senior designer at Oxford University Press. I was a director in a successful graphic design company prior to joining the university.
I am currently course leader for MA Graphic Design and teach across levels and units on BA (Hons) Graphic Design. I also act as an Apex assessor within the university.
- Design Epistemology
- Design Thinking
- Design Process
- Typeface Design
PhD research Central Saint Martins, London: Contemporary Processes of Text Typeface Design