School of Art and Design
Dr Simone Gumtau
- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA (Hons), PGCertLTHE
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer; Course Leader – MA Design for Digital Media; Course Leader - MA Data Visualisation Design
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5713
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Art and Design
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am a visual communication designer specialising in interactive media design, an academic lecturer and researcher. I started my career as a screen and web designer in the German media capital of Hamburg during the dot com boom. I left a position at the online department of prestigious news magazine ‘Der Spiegel’ to start my studies in the UK. While studying for a BA (Hons) in Communication Design, I carried on commercial engagements by working free-lance in various areas and for local design departments. After completing my MA specialising in Digital and Interactive Media, I started working as a Researcher on the project MEDIATE and subsequently began a PhD program researching touch-based human-computer interfaces. Several research and teaching appointments finally culminated in the current position as Senior lecturer in Digital Media Design and Visual Culture.
I am interested in interaction design and perception and the particular affordances of digital media environments.
- Course Leader of the MA Design for Digital Media degree; running, managing and delivering all aspects of the course, which is focused on designing interactions with digital environments (teaching ‘Proposal’, ‘Digital Futures: Critical Design’, ‘Design, Innovation and Enterprise’ and ‘Major Project: Research and Resolution’). Specifically responsible for the coordination of the unit ‘A Question of Research’ which is also core to the ‘MA Fine Art’ and ‘MA Graphic Design’.
- Course Leader of the MA Data Visualisation Design degree; running, managing and delivering all aspects of the course, which is focused on designing interfaces with data (teaching ‘Fundamental of Data and Interaction Design’, ‘Digital Futures – Themes and Issues in Practice’, ‘Design Solutions for Enterprise in Society and Culture’ and ‘Major Project: Research and Resolution’). Specifically
responsible for the coordination of the unit ‘A Question of Research’ which is also core to the ‘MA Illustration’ and ‘MA Graphic Design’.
- Delivering seminars, lectures and tutorials for the Visual Culture module across all undergraduate courses (BAs Graphic Design, Illustration, - Photography, Fashion and Textiles), specifically on the unit ‘Design, Style and Identity’.
- Unit coordinator and tutor for the final year unit ‘Visual Culture: Research Project’ (practice-based dissertation), where students design and manage their own practice-led research and devise and design a relevant outcome and reflective report.
- Research coordinator and postgraduate tutor in the School of Art and Design.
More recently I have started developing data visualisation designs, to be used in engine fault detection in the marine industries (part of the IConIC project). Some of this sample data has already been processed through a set of algorithm-like instructions to be applied in different creative media, such as animation, vibration, and rope fabric in the exhibition "Between Craft and Code - Making Sense of Data Materialisation" (Portsmouth, UK, 2015).