School of Biological Sciences
- Qualifications: MSc, BA University California Santa Cruz
- Role Title: PhD Researcher
- Address: Institute of Marine Sciences University of Portsmouth, Langstone Harbour, Ferry Road, Eastney, Portsmouth, P04 9LY
- Telephone: 07724141373
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Biological Sciences
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
I was born in Ethiopia, went to high school in Kenya and then university in California. I spent the next fifteen years as a cell biologist working in toxicology, biotechnology and marine microbiology. I worked at Rutgers University, University California, Long Marine Lab, National University of Singapore.
I then took some time off to raise children and gain my MSc in Environmental Management. I have lived in the UK for the last thirteen years and am now working on my PhD in Aquatic Ecotoxicology.
My other love is ocean sports and have competed internationally in windsurfing, surf kayaking, and locally sailing. I also love to mountain bike, snowboard, and run.
My research has taken me from neurotoxicology to marine microbiology and now on to aquatic ecotoxicology. Currently my research focus is on the effects of pharmaceuticals found in the marine environment. I hope to determine the effects of specific compounds on marine organisms using polychaetes as a model. This research will help build a foundation for better life cycle analysis of compounds already in use as well as new chemicals being developed. I am also interested in the REACH regulations and developing assays for fulfilling these requirements.