School of Biological Sciences
Dr Joanne Preston
- Qualifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD.
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Marine Biology, Course Leader Marine Biology
- Address: Institute of Marine Sciences, Ferry Road, Eastney, PO4 9LY
- Telephone: 023 9284 5799
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Biological Sciences
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
My research area is marine and microbial molecular ecology and evolution. My current research focuses on the sponge holobiont system and its responses to environmental stressors.
- Sept 2014 - present Lecturer in Marine Biology
- Sept 2013 - Sept 2014 Business Development Associate for the Institute of Marine Sciences.
- 2010 – 2012 Research Fellow at the University of Portsmouth. Microbial ecology of the Mary Rose Tudor warship in relation to acid production in her timbers.
- Career Break
- 2003-2005 Research Associate on the European Genetic Marine Biodiversity (EUMAR) project. The Marine Biological Association, Plymouth.
- 1999-2002 PhD National Oceanography Centre, Southampton.
- Marine Organisms and Ecosystems U20015 (Joint Unit coordinator with Dr Paul Farrell)
- Marine and Terrestrial Ecology U20004
- Biodiversity and Evolution U20000
- MSc Ecotoxicology and Pollution U20153
- Marine conservation policy.
- Invasive Caprellids in Langstone Harbour
- Evolution and ecology of sponges and their microbial symbionts,
- Climate change impacts on sponge bentho-pelagic coupling and ecological functioning,
- Environmental microbiology of the Mary Rose.
- Evolution of Trochids in the Mediterranean and NE Atlantic, and their relationship to Indo-Pacific species of the same taxonomic family,