School of Biological Sciences
Dr Simon Kolstoe
- Qualifications: BSc, BA, MA, PhD, FHEA
- Role Title: Senior Fellow & University Ethics Advisor
- Address: King Henry Building, King Henry I Street, Portsmouth, PO1 2DY
- Telephone: 023 9284 2058
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Biological Sciences
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
I gained a first class BSc in Biomedical Science at the University of Southampton before joining the laboratory of Professor Steve Wood for a PhD in Biochemistry. My doctoral project involved the use of X-ray crystallography in rational drug design for the pentraxin family of proteins.
In 2005 I took up a post-doctoral position working for Professor Sir Mark Pepys FRS at the Centre for Amyloidosis and Acute Phase Proteins, UCL Medical School. Here work on depleters of C-reactive protein was published on the front cover of Nature in 2006. A second project, developing small molecules targeting the serum protein Transthyretin, contributed towards the group being awarded one of the first Wellcome Trust Seeding Drug Discovery Initiative awards in 2007. This latter work was subsequently patented and licensed to GSK in 2009. In 2010 I was promoted to Senior Post-doctoral Research Associate in the newly founded Wolfson Drug Discovery Unit where I continued working on similar projects this time in close collaboration with industrial partners and the NHS.
I joined the University of Portsmouth in April 2012 as a tenure-track Senior Fellow, and in 2014 received a BBSRC project grant. I am interested in immune proteins, protein-DNA interactions and the use of mammalian cell lines for producing recombinant protein for biophysical characterisation.
Coupled to my biomedical research I have a bachelors degree in Philosophy and master’s degree in Research Ethics. I am particularly interested in reporting bias and research ethics committee consistency. I chair the Hampshire A NHS research ethics committee, chair the MOD research ethics committee, and am the University Ethics Advisor.
For more information about my research please visit my lab page
- Graduate skills 1 and 2
- BSc project supervision
- MRes supervision
- MPharm project supervision
- PhD supervision
- Expression of immune related proteins using the mammalian HEK293 system.
- The function and structural biology of the pentraxin class of proteins.
- Structure based drug design (specifically relating to protein folding diseases).
- DNA-protein interactions