School of Biological Sciences
- Qualifications: MBiochem (Hons)
- Role Title: PhD Researcher
- Address: King Henry Building, King Henry I Street, Portsmouth, PO1 2DY
- Telephone: 023 9284 2222
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Biological Sciences
- Faculty: Science
As an undergraduate I read Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry at Brasenose College, Oxford where I graduated in 2014 having done my Part II (Masters) project studying the structure and DNA binding properties of leukaemogenic transcription factor complexes under Dr Erika Mancini, as well as two summer internships in a crystallography company (Crysalin Ltd). My PhD involves characterisation of various enzymes that degrade lignocellulosic biomass in an attempt to improve the industrial process of second generation biofuel production.
- The unique properties of cellulase enzymes from the marine wood borers Limnoria quadripunctata and Chelura terebrans.
- Bacterial enzymes forming the pathway for degradation of lignin to high-value low molecular-weight molecules.
- Protein expression (fungal and bacterial), purification (size exclusion/affinity/ion exchange/hydrophobic interaction chromatography).
- X-ray crystallography and enzyme kinetics.
Director of Studies:
Dr John McGeehan (Reader in Structural Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Portsmouth)
Prof Simon Cragg (Professor of Marine Zoology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Portsmouth)
Prof Neil Bruce (CNAP Chair in Biotechnology, Department of Biology, University of York)