School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
Dr Nikos Nanos
- Qualifications: BEng (Hons), MSc, PhD
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Portland Building, Portland Street, Portsmouth PO1 3AH UK
- Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 2947
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I completed my PhD thesis in the field of Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, an MSc in New Technologies in Antiseismic Engineering Design, and an MSc and BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering.
Prior to my academic engagement, I worked for 5 years in the Oil and Gas industry and over 10 in total in Civil and Structural Engineering. I worked on both European and International projects providing consultancy services to major companies and organizations, such as Lyondell-Basell, Thyssen-Group, Hellenic-Petroleum and Kuwait-National-Petroleum-Company amongst others.
As a member of multinational engineering and construction consortiums, I developed deep site experience, appreciation and understanding of engineering and construction challenges for a wide variety of steel and concrete foundations and supporting structures subjected to variable loadings and displacements.
My expertise is in structural dynamics and optimisation techniques. Through my work in the fields of earthquake engineering and structural design, I gained real-world expertise in structural design and construction. Through my PhD research, I gained an understanding of earthquake engineering design from the seismic response of structures using FEA and seismic signal processing as well as ANN and optimization algorithms.
Coming from a diverse educational and occupational background allows me to appreciate the difficulties and rewards of cross-disciplinary work and collaboration. As such, I strive to maintain an open-minded 'outside-the-box' approach and research mentality that aims to identify and utilise data agnostic methodologies to provide novel solutions to engineering and scientific problems.
Currently, I supervise research students in the field of Seismic Structural Response, and Concrete Behaviour as well as Structural Monitoring and Soil Structure Interaction, while lecturing and coordinating a number of units ranging from Structural Mechanics to Design Projects.
With the addition of our new Seismic Table testing bed facility, our upgraded Heavy Structures equipment and available in-house FEA capabilities, I currently oversee and participate on a variety of research and consultancy projects in the field of structural behaviour and structural dynamics.
- Deputy Course Leader, MRes Technology
- Liaison Tutor (SCES), MRes Technology
- Course Leader, MSc Civil Engineering and the Built Environment, Athens Metropolitan College, Greece
- Integrated Design Project, MEng 4 (Level 7)
- Integrating Project, BEng 3 (Level 6)
- Project Evaluation & Development, CEM 3 (Level 6)
- Professional Development, BEng 2 (Level 5)
- Understanding Structures, BEng 1 (Level 4)
- My main research interests revolve around Structural Engineering; Structural Dynamics; Earthquake Engineering; Soil Structure Interaction and Optimisation Algorithms. Current interdisciplinary research projects involve, collaborators from other schools and disciplines (i.e., Computing, Business, Engineering amongst others).