School of Computing
Dr Ivan Jordanov
- Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD
- Role Title: Reader in Computational Intelligence
- Address: Buckingham Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth (UK) PO1 3HE
- Telephone: 023 9284 6786
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Computing
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I am a Reader and leader of the Computational Intelligence Research Group at the School of Computing. I have a PhD in Computer Aided Optimization and an MSc in Applied Mathematics from the Technical University of Sofia; and a BSc in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering from the Naval University, Bulgaria. I joined the University of Portsmouth in 2003 after 3 years with De Montfort University as a Senior Lecturer; 2 years with the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff as a Senior Researcher; and 16 years with the Technical University Sofia as Associate Professor.
My main research interests and activities are in the field of computational intelligence:
- Machine Learning, Neural Networks and Heuristic Global Optimisation - Investigation, modeling and development of intelligent hybrid optimization methods that encompasses heuristic and deterministic approaches for global optimization. These include metaheuristics based on so-called low-discrepancy sequences of points, genetic algorithms and local search optimizers. The developed methods are employed for supervised Neural Network (NN) learning.
- Pattern Recognition - Investigation and development of Intelligent Machine Vision System that can grab an image, digitise it and pre-process the data, incorporate segmentation and feature based extraction and dimensionality reduction with PCA, ICA and LDA, and apply supervised and unsupervised NN learning for solving pattern recognition, image identification and classification problems.
I teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level in three areas: Computational Intelligence (Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms, Global Optimization); Advanced Software Engineering; and Object Oriented Design and Programming. Currently, I teach the following units:
- Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms (NENGA), BSc year 3
- Advanced Software Engineering (ASE), BSc year 3
- Advanced Programming Concepts (ADPROC), BSc year 2
I am a PhD Tutor and I have been an internal and external examiner of more than 10 PhD vivas:
- University of Wales Institute Cardiff, 1999, 2000; De Montfort University, 2002; University of Portsmouth, 2008 - 2011 (internal)
- Brunel University, 2005, 2009; Asia Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand, 2005; Open University, 2000 (external)
I have also been an external examiner of the Computer Science and Engineering Undergraduate Programme, University of Kurdistan – Hewler, Federal Region of Kurdistan, Iraq, 2011, 2012.
Computational Intelligence (Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Heuristic Global Optimisation and Genetic Algorithms)
Investigation, modelling and development of intelligent hybrid optimization methods that encompasses heuristic and deterministic approaches for global search and optimization. These include metaheuristics based on so-called Low-discrepancy sequences of points, Genetic algorithms and Local search optimizers. The methods investigate the trade-offs between exploration and exploitation and the efficiency of the global search.
This research includes all aspects of analysis, design, modelling and investigation of computationally intelligent pattern recognition machine vision system – data acquisition and data representation, statistical pre-processing, feature extraction and dimensionality reduction (PCA, ICA and LDA), decision making (neural networks) and system evaluation. The developed methods are employed for Neural Network learning of Image Processing and Pattern recognition problems. Different training paradigms and performance metrics taking into account data features and data distribution are tested and evaluated for solving identification, mapping and classification problems.