School of Creative Technologies
Mr Ben Thompson
- Qualifications: BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer; Section Leader – Film and Broadcasting; Course Leader – BA (Hons) Film Production
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5693
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I have 10 years experience as a Lecturer in Television, Film and Video Production. Presently, I hold the position of Course Leader/Senior Lecturer at University of Portsmouth delivering and managing BA (Hons) Television and Film Production, an industry focused degree that specialises in digital short film production.
I have over 15 years professional industry experience as a Broadcast Television Lighting Cameraman & Producer/Director. I have worked for a whole range of UK and international broadcasters, production companies and corporate clients. I have also worked as Head of Production for an independent production company based in London, where I produced documentaries and managed high-end film projects for leading UK and International clients and brands. I have been involved with filming projects extensively in UK, Europe and US.
I am a full member of GTC – The Guild of Television Cameramen – an independent, international organisation that cares about TV camerawork and the people who make it their craft. Members are experienced cameramen and camerawomen who operate cameras professionally in all areas of broadcasting. I am also an active member of the RTS - Royal Television Society.
- My current research activity involves the production of digital shorts / feature film projects and digital cinematography – large sensor filming technologies. I regularly produce short drama & documentary projects in collaboration with industry connections and course colleagues. I am currently working as a consultant on a football based feature film.
- My recent short film All About Dad (2012) explores the subject of modern fatherhood through the stories of three unconventional dads. The film identifies the realities and experiences of three subjects as they strive to become a father in modern society. The film has enjoyed exposure at several international film festivals and recognition on-line and other media outlets.
- I am currently pursuing a Masters in Creative Professional Practice at the University of Portsmouth. This is a project based Masters that explores my research interests of the technological advancements in Digital Cinematography.
- I am currently in development of my next film that explores the subject of the 1980’s - in relation to a nostalgic exploration of video technology.
- I am currently in pre-production of a feature film project Off Side (2014 pending). I am acting as a consulting producer on the project.